Emerge Nursing and Rehabilitation in Glen Cove has an opportunity for a Full -Time Medical Records Coordinator.
This is a Full-time position
Our Medical Records Coordinator is responsible for the fulfillment of medical records duties in compliance with company policies and processes, including the processing of records requests, adherence to HIPAA regulations and all applicable state, federal and local laws pertaining to the maintenance and release of medical records.
Our Medical Records Coordinator will participate in the oversight of acquired site transfer and custodianship of all medical records, and for ensuring all medical records stored in facility and off-site meet all legal, regulatory and Company requirements.
The Medical Records Coordinator is required to work with all off-site storage vendor arrangements with respect to compliance with Company and contractual requirements pertaining to medical records and patient information.
•Use Liaison with external requesting parties (such as payors and attorneys) seeking medical records and/or presenting medical records inquiries to Company
• Responsible for maintaining new and archived medical records and/or charts
• Oversee and coordinate the response to third party medical records requests
• Compile information for payor audits
• Oversee and reconcile all Medical Records Fee arrangements (in accordance with state law) and develop and maintain a monthly report of the same
• Maintain storage log and destruction process procedures for outdated records in accordance with Company’s procedures for record retention and destruction
• Determine the appropriate release of medical records information and prepare correspondence to respond to requests in accordance with Company policies and all applicable federal, state and local laws
• Ensure medical records department and all processes comply with applicable laws and regulations, including, but not limited to HIPAA, 42 CFR Part 2, and state record retention laws at all times
• Participate in internal meetings regarding medical records and patient information
• Participate in the integration efforts of the Medical Records Department with other departments
• Ensure compliance with medical record maintenance standards
• Ensure best in class standards for medical records storage, disclosure and destruction are met
• Ensure medical record information stored in the facility database is accurate and current at all times
• Oversee external medical records storage process
• Maintain working knowledge of HIPAA, 42 CFR Part 2, OSHA, Risk Management and Compliance regulations
• Practice confidentiality and privacy protocols in accordance with Company policies and all applicable laws and regulations
Education and experience based on requirements that are job-related and consistent with business necessity.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, and Excel) is required
• In-depth knowledge of medical records handling protocols is required
• Working knowledge of HIPAA regulations, 42 CFR Part 2 and state laws regarding medical records and confidentiality is required